Rainy Days and Mondays

I remember singing Rainy Days and Mondays when auditioning for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. I was in Grade 7. I didn't get a part in the play (the singing didn't go so well) but I did stay involved. It took another generation, but both my kids sing and the younger one has starred in a very demanding musical.

It is both frustrating and hopeful that some things that seem so straightforward take an extra generation. It reminds us, on rainy days that are also Mondays, that hope is real especially when it is hidden around several corners. The thing that was really important and didn't work might have nonetheless planted seeds. It might take time.

Watching your kid perform is not the same as being the kid who is centre stage. But it's good. It's worth a wait.

What do you want today that you will still want - passionately, in your heart of hearts - 20 years from now. You will be a different person in a different world. Yet still - history suggests - you might plant a seed now and enjoy it in 20 years or more.

Today it is rainy. Today it is Monday. It is a beginning that feels like an ending (I worked all weekend, so this is the day that feels like the week coming to an end). I still don't sing very well. Perhaps it is not the right use for my voice yet.

I'm taking guitar lessons. Ten years from now, I might be pretty good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Yes" sets for building agreement and manipulation

The hypnotic contract

The fine line between observations, suggestions and commands