What do you want more of in your life?


When you ask yourself: "What do I want more of?" the first answer that comes to mind is often something like "vacations!" It's easy to want more time away, more adventures to beautiful places, more freedom.

Yes. All good. And yet, how does that change what you are doing in the next hour?  When you think "What do I want more of in this day?" the answers change. For me, the answers are:

  • more wonderfully engaging connections and conversations
  • more control over my state and my choices
  • more focus and more energy so that I can accomplish more
And all of these are achievable. I have the knowledge and the resources to seek out better connections, to choose better experiences for myself, to take care of mind and body so that I have the energy I need to do what I want to do. Every step is a simple step, and still it is hard. Still the road has curves and bumps that make it easy to say "I can't. I won't. It's not my fault."

Choice is not an event. It's a practice. Like meditation or going to the gym, it's easier some days than others. Like meditation or going to the gym, it's helped by a good guide and good friends. We all want more choice - it's the common denominator of all wants.

Achieving choice is not luck and it is not talent and it is not connections. It's facing the fact, moment by moment, that you already have choices. Making them on purpose is the stuff that makes lives worth living.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Yes" sets for building agreement and manipulation

The hypnotic contract

The fine line between observations, suggestions and commands