I forgot the water

My head hurts this afternoon. It hurts because I did two dumb things. Probably not what springs to mind.

The first dumb thing I did was to walk too far yesterday with too much weight in my backpack. It was only slightly uncomfortable while I was walking, but if I had been listening to my shoulders, I would have known they were tensing in a way that would make them (and my head) sore today.

The second dumb thing I did was to forget the water. I was late for my session with my trainer, and I ran into the gym without a water bottle. I worked out without water, then showered and set off for a coffee meeting. On the way, I intended to order water with my coffee (there are places in Europe where you always get a glass of water beside your cup of coffee) but I was distracted and ordered the latte without the extra glass of water.

I could say I have a headache, as if it just arrived. But this one is more like a headache I ordered in. It's a direct result of letting myself be just a little uncomfortable for just a little too long.

There are many places in our lives where we admire qualities like being focused on the task at hand instead of personal comfort. I wonder how many of them require that we be just as dumb as I have been today. My head does not ache because I am heroically hard-working. It aches because I ignored signals and made dumb choices.

I going to go pour myself (another) large glass of water.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Yes" sets for building agreement and manipulation

The hypnotic contract

The fine line between observations, suggestions and commands